Friday, February 22, 2013

Ugh! I did SO much better in practice!



Last week, at my meet, I messed up my bar. I didn't make my giant, totally goofed up my free hip at the meet and my cast was nonexistent compared to some of the ones I was doing at practice. I have done way better in practice and might have made it to state if I had done as well as I could on bar.


                                


Usually, a bad performance at a meet is attributed to nervousness. I have another theory.
I'm far from consistent in my giants and during warmups I tried to get as many turns as possible. As my coach said. "It's not a workout, Theresa!" As a result of my strenuous practice, I was tired and my arms were slightly sore when the time came to compete.

I think it's possible that when gymnasts really push themselves in a meet warmup they get tired for the real deal. Nervousness may have something to do with it, but I think worst then usual performances might happen because of overly intense warmups. I know that, in practice, my third floor routine is my worst, because after two routines, I'm pooped. The same effect could happen after a hard warmup.
Do you agree? Have you ever been tired before a routine and it affected
your performance?
~The Gymnast.

2 comments:

  1. Theresa, I think that's an excellent theory, and one you should be sure to put into practice. Also, I think that we tend to remember the best we've done(in practice) and have an unrealistic view that we can take all of those capability peaks and string together a dynamic performance under pressure. That being said, the more you practice and compete, the stronger and better you become at each move, and the more it's likely that you WILL get a great meet. It's great that you are analyzing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that makes total sense and maybe you should put it to the test but do not not warm up. Of course what do I know about it. In choir the harder we work in warm up the better.

    ReplyDelete