Sunday, February 24, 2013

Superstitions!


I'm a little superstitious when it comes to gymnastics. Not like wear my lucky leotard or anything, but I have some rituals I have to go through.

I'm the most superstitious on bar. And not until I started working on giants. Here's my list of rituals!

1. I MUST chalk up before every giant. My coach Samir asked us to stop chalking up as much because it took so much time. So I took a turn without getting more chalk and flew off the bar! Since then, I chalk up fast but before every giant.



2. I wear elastics around my grips. I don't know how effective it is, but, heaven forbid, if I don't wear any, I'm afraid my grip's velcro will come off!

3. I started doing this new drill two days before I made my giant. So now I'm convinced it helps a ton.

On beam!



1. I ABSOLUTETLY, WITH NO EXCEPTIONS, eat yogurt before competing beam. I've even had my Mom go to the store on the way to the meet for yogurt. At my old gym, our coach thought it helped beam (I have no idea why). But I ate it before beam then, and it feels wrong not to now.

2. I get chalk on my hands before doing back handsprings. It started when my hands slipped when I didn't have chalk. (of course it couldn't have anything to do with incorrect hand positioning I did back then. Chalk, it must be the chalk!) It wouldn't surprise me if I used almost as much chalk on beam as I do on bars. :$)

Do you have any rituals before competitions or hard skills? If so, comment below!





1 comment:

  1. I used to drink coffee and eat a bagel before a race. I don't race anymore, but I still like to run after breakfast (or just before lunch). I also used to try and carbo load by eating pasta or spaghetti the night before a race.

    ReplyDelete