Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Prepare for the meet!

You got to warm this stuff up!

Any gymnast can tell you that warming up at a meet is drastically different than in practice. Especially on beam and bar, you have to be ready for it.

At a meet, you get to warm up on the apparatus for a time proportional to your team. In level 7, each gymnast gets 90 seconds. You add up the total amount of gymnast in a team, and that team gets to warm up for that long. This year, my team gets 4 1/2 minutes to warm up.


Because you get a limited amount of time, a lot of the drills that we would regularly do, can't be done. On floor, we usually warm up round-offs and back handspring drills. At a meet, you can't do all of that.

Most of us are ok with the shorter floor prep, but it's more of an issue on beam. I got my back handspring on the beam about a week before my first meet. So I had to get ready for the warm ups pretty fast. For difficult and scary skills, like back handsprings, we usually start on a low beam and work our way up. We like to use the low beam first to build confidence. If we can get our hands on a low beam, we can get them on the high beam. Unfortunately, most meets don't have a low beam to practice on, so you have to be ready to go from  the floor to the high beam. I remember this before our routines. I stopped doing back handsprings on the low beam, because I know that I won't get to at the meet. If I can't do a back handspring right away at my home gym, in my own territory, I probably will freak out at the meet.

Most of us like to warm these up on a low beam first.


On bar, you have to be consistent. Today, I got to warm up a couple of cast to handstands before I did the giant. I don't get to do that at the meet. You have to be able to do your skills right away, without the warm up. It's pretty important to be ready for that.








No comments:

Post a Comment